SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, August 21, 2017

My AncestryDNA

Hi everyone! Sorry that I haven't been posting anything lately. After my sisters wedding at the end of June, I fell down some stairs and was immobile for the month of July which meant that I wasn't able to take any pictures for this blog. Whenever I post anything new I love to include pictures to make sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. Today's post isn't going to be beauty related. Instead I am going to tell you a bit more about myself.

A lot of people who know me very well will know that I have been researching my family history since I was 15. That is 6 years of me digging up facts about a crazy amount of people. Researching my family history is one of my favorite things to do. I love finding out new information because it all tells the story of my family and how we got to where we are. Obviously I'm not going to sit here and tell you about every single person in my family tree (that would take way too long). I am instead going to tell you about the DNA test that I took a few weeks ago.




When you take a DNA test from Ancestry you have to spit into a little tube, shake it up for about 5 seconds, and then mail it back to them in a prepaid box (the directions that come with the kit explain this better than I can). During the process, Ancestry will email you updates about when your DNA arrived, when it is being processed, and when your results are in. Usually the results take about 6 to 8 weeks but I got mine in around 2 weeks. I'm not sure why my results came back so quickly, it could be because not many people are having their DNA tested right now. Anyways here are my results.



As you can see from this picture above, I am 42% Ireland (this includes Ireland,Scotland and Wales), 32% Scandinavia (this includes Norway, Sweden, and Denmark), 16% Europe West (this includes, Germany, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein), 6% Great Britain (this includes Scotland, England, and Wales), 2% Italy/Greece (this is obviously just Italy and Greece), 1% Iberian (this includes Spain and Portugal), and less than 1% Asia South (this includes India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka).

When I saw my results I was mostly only surprised by the Italy and Greece, the Iberian, and the Asia South. I have never heard of anyone in my family being from Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, or any Southern Asian countries. Because of the fact that the Asia South is so low, I'm guessing that it's from about a thousand years ago.

I have been wanting to do this test for a few years now and I'm so glad that I finally decided to. This now makes me want both of my parents to get their DNA tested so I can find out who carries the Italy/Greece, Iberian, and Asia South. I'm also pushing my sister to get her DNA tested so I can find out if she inherited the Asia South. If you are wanting to take this test then you definitely should. Even though I was hesitant at first, I don't regret it at all because now I know things that I would've never known if I hadn't taken this test.

Here is a closer look at the map of where my ancestors came from

Comment down below if you have had your DNA tested or if you are thinking about taking a DNA test!

UPDATE: I was able to get the test for $79. It normally retails for $99 but there are sales every so often, usually around the holidays.

Post a Comment